SJHC – School Visits Volunteering
Join us! The Scottish Jewish Heritage Centre is looking for volunteer facilitators for its School Visit Service
The service gives pupils and teachers first-hand experience of Jewish religious and cultural life and offers an unparalleled opportunity to experience a Scottish perspective of the Holocaust era. It also gives insights into the immigrant experiences of the Jewish community in Scotland. Full information on what is offered to schools is available here: https://sjhc.org.uk/school-visit/
Facilitators will supervise and guide pupils to explore:
- The Synagogue foyer and prayer hall, discussing the history of the building and the congregants, as well as Judaism and Jewish life
- The kosher kitchen, Jewish dietary laws and how they affect daily life for Jewish people
- ‘A New Life in Scotland display’, about the history of Jewish Community in Scotland
- Learning kits in the Holocaust-era Study Centre, which have been produced using original material from the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre (SJAC), in consultation with Holocaust education curricula specialists and include facsimile handling material
- The Succah display, ‘Scotland, A Sanctuary’ and the digital resources including a catalogue with around 2,700 key images from SJAC’s Holocaust-era collections
Facilitators will work in pairs to welcome pupils during 2 hour sessions during school hours. No evening or weekend work will be required. School groups will have pre-booked their visit. Training is provided and all successful applicants will undergo a Disclosure Scotland check at no cost to themselves.
Skills and experience:
- Keenness to learn is the most desirable quality but a knowledge of Scottish Jewish History, Jewish religious practices and the history of the Holocaust period, would be advantageous.
- Experience in guiding would be welcome but is not essential as full training will be given.
- Good communication skills and the ability to interact in a pleasant and knowledgeable way with young people is essential.
- A working knowledge of basic IT skills is desirable.
- Reliability and good timekeeping essential.
- Ability to work well in a team and work with a variety of people.
Email SJHC Manager Kerry Patterson on [email protected] to register your interest, with your contact details. Include some information about yourself, what experience you have and why you would like to volunteer for us.
We look forward to hearing from you!